Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (Ohio BMV) online system allows you to renew, replace, exchange or register license plates of motor vehicles. You can also select and purchase specialty plates within a few minutes. If you have no time to deal with these problems offline, then you are welcomed to visit the online system to solve your problems.
If you’re an Ohio resident and use your vehicle on public roads, you must apply for a license plate by registering your car. To renew your plates and keep your validation sticker up to date, you’ll just need to renew your registration, which can be done online. The OH BMV offers many online services on Oplates.com. You can replace license plates and stickers and look up available plates for personalized tags.
All motor vehicles owned by Ohio residents and operated on public roads are required to display license plates issued by the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV). Most vehicles will have 2 license plates. Some vehicles, such as motorcycles and mopeds, only need 1 license plate. Rear license plates must have clearly visible expiration stickers.
OPLATES: Ohio BMV – License Plates Bureau
The service is free to all Ohio state residents (residents are not required to be a Buckeyes fan contrary to popular belief) and OPlates Renewal service is operated by the Ohio Department of Public Safety. Anyone moving to the state of Ohio has 30 days to register their auto and are NOT allowed to operate a vehicle in the state of Ohio with a license from another state after the 30 days are up or they will face a minor misdemeanor under R.C. 4503.111.
Before your vehicle registration expires, you must renew it and get new validation stickers for your license plate. The OH BMV offers several renewal methods, including the online via the OPLATES website. You can also use OPLATES.com to check your registration status. The Ohio BMV system is an online portal which provides users with many services listed on its homepage. It allows you to request and access easily online.
Renew Plates at Oplates – Ohio BMV Online System
You can request these services below by simply clicking on the corresponding icons on the BMV online system:
- Driver abstracts order online
- Renew your vehicle registration
- Pay reinstatement fee online
- Address change for your vehicle registration
- Exchange your plates online
- Special plates availability checking
- Check your registration status
Please view more detailed services by visiting oplates.com. The following steps will help you better manage your plate. Take renewing vehicle registration as an example.
- Visit www.oplates.com
- Find the Renew your vehicle registration button at the homepage and click it to continue.
- View the instructions online and check I Accept checkbox. You need to make sure your vehicle is registered in Ohio and your plate is within 90 days of the expiration date or has not been expired for more than six months. Click on Continue.
- Input your plate number and the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number in the respective fields.
- Follow the prompts on the screen to finish the renew vehicle registration process.
If you have some questions concerning your plate, please check Ohio BMV FAQs at the very top of the homepage for help. Then to locate the answer to your questions, please enter a keyword in the search box.
OPlates renewal services accept most major credit cards and payment methods to include: Cash, Personal Checks, Money Orders, Certified Cashier Checks, Traveler’s Checks, County Agency Vouchers, Intra-State Agency Vouchers (PayPal and Apple Pay are not allowed at this time). The most reliable and preferred way to make a payment to the Ohio Department of Public Safety is via cash money. The state of Ohio will charge extra for personalized plates.
- Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles Online System FAQs – www.oplates.com/Faq/FeedSearch.aspx
- Vehicle Registration Fee Chart – bmv.ohio.gov/fees_for_services.stm
- Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles Official Site – bmv.ohio.gov/index.stm